We are now recruiting for English Instructor positions to begin teaching from April 2018.
If you wish to apply, complete the application by following the procedure below.
|Position||English Instructor for the English Discussion Class|
A person falling under any one of the following categories is eligible to be appointed as an English Instructor.
(1) A person who has obtained a Master’s degree in English-language education and who has personal knowledge of and experience in English-language education at the university level; or
(2) A person who has obtained a Master’s degree in a field other than English-language education and who has personal knowledge of and experience in English-language education at the university level; or
(3) A person who has obtained a Master’s degree in English-language education or in other field and a CELTA qualification, and who has personal knowledge of English-language education at the university level; or
(4) A person considered to be similar to any of (1) through (3) above and who specifically has knowledge of and sufficient experience in English-language education at the university level; or
(5) A person considered to be similar to any of (1) through (4) above and who is specifically sufficiently experienced in English-language education at the university or high school level.*Applicants of any nationality are welcome to apply.
|Starting Date||April 1, 2018|
|Conditions||One-year contract, possibly renewed up to four times (for a total of 5 years maximum upon the mutual agreement of both parties)|
|Work Days|| Monday to Saturday (6 days per week)
*Must be on campus during the regular semester (Spring and Fall) and the repeating courses sessions, which are offered for two weeks in August and two weeks in February.
|Work Hours||Monday to Friday: 8:50-17:00 & Saturday: 8:50-13:00|
|Location||Monday: Ikebukuro Campus (Tokyo) or Niiza Campus (Saitama)
Tuesday-Friday: Ikebukuro Campus
Saturday: Niiza Campus
|Remuneration||Salary: Salary shall be determined in the rule of Rikkyo Gakuin.
Additional: Summer bonus (1 month of salary provided in June), Winter bonus (2 months of salary provided in December), housing allowance, transportation allowance, insurance (Rikkyo Gakuin health insurance, welfare pension insurance and employment insurance), and grant-in-aid.
2) The English Instructor position is designated as a teaching position, not a researcher position. However, instructors are able to receive a fund (for the purpose of improving the quality of their classes and education) from Rikkyo University called Grant-in-aid. A Researcher Number will not be provided by the university.
Special University Holidays
Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring breaks
*In order to balance the number of classes over the 14-week semester, Rikkyo University schedules some classes on some national holidays, which are then considered to be work days. In lieu of these days, other days during the academic calendar become non-teaching days.
|Paid Holiday||10 days for the first year|
|Application Documents||Submit Documents Number 1 to 4 as e-mail attachments by the application deadline. Document Number 5 (references) must be submitted by each referee as e-mail attachments. No other formats will be accepted. Use the documents below.|
|Place of Submission||Submit Application Document Number 1 to 4 as e-mail attachments.
Have each referee to submit Document Number 5 as e-mail attachment directly.
Submit all the application documents for the attention of “Personnel Section, Center for English Discussion Class, Rikkyo University”.
|Selection Stages||First Stage: Screening of application document (Early October)
Second Stage: Model Teaching and Personal Interview (October through November)
* Tentatively, notification of official offer of employment is scheduled to be made by the end of January, 2018.
||September 25, 2017 12:00 noon, Japan Standard Time|
In April of 2010, we implemented an innovative English education curriculum. Central to this was the creation of the English Discussion Class, a class of about eight students, which all freshman students are required to take.
We invite instructors interested in becoming part of our innovative language program to apply for the English Instructor position.
The English Discussion Class curriculum provides students ample time to express their ideas in English and receive individual support from instructors. Instructors who understand the need for a student-centered approach for such small interactive communication classes are needed to meet these goals.
We seek talented candidates who have the following qualities:
Teach English Discussion to First-Year Students
Working hours and days are from 8:50 to 17:00, Mondays to Fridays, and 8:50 to 13:00 on Saturdays.
Instructors teach 14 lessons per week throughout each 14-week semester. Each lesson is 90 minutes. Typically, instructors will be scheduled to teach two or three lessons per day. Instructors are expected to devote two 90-minute class periods a week to office hours and one class period a week for Faculty Development sessions with Program Managers and peers, in addition to preparing daily lesson plans.
|Monday to Friday (Periods 1, 2, and 3) Saturday (Periods 1 and 2)||First period||9:00-10:30|
Rikkyo University offers make-up English Discussion courses for two weeks after each regular semester in August and February. Similar to the Regular Semester, each Repeating Course lesson is scheduled for 90 minutes. Three lessons are offered per day, five consecutive days per week (Monday to Friday, 8:50 to 17:00). English Instructors teach a maximum of 15 Repeating Course lesson per week.
|Monday to Friday||First period||9:00-10:30|
Q1: How can I find accommodation in Tokyo?
A1: You are expected to conduct the search for housing on your own.
Q2: I am applying from overseas. How can I get a working visa for Japan?
A2: We will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility, which you can then take to the Japanese Embassy or the Japanese Consulate in your country of residence to apply for a work visa.
Q3: When does the contract begin and how long does it last?
A3: The contract term is from April 1 through March 31 of the following year. The contract is possibly renewed up to four times (in principle, for a total of 5 years maximum upon the mutual agreement of both parties). In some cases, positions may also be able to commence from September 1 (the second semester of the Japanese academic calendar).
Q4: Can I work part-time for this position?
A4: No. This position is a full-time position only.
Q5: Can I select the Rikkyo campus where I will teach?
A5: No. Your main campus will be in Ikebukuro. All English Instructors will be assigned to teach classes at both the Ikebukuro and Niiza campuses.
Q6: I am a non-native speaker of English. Can I apply for this position?
A6: Yes. Anyone who meets the required qualifications may apply.
Q7: I am living abroad. Can I apply for the position from overseas?
A7: Yes. We accept applications from all over the world. If necessary, a Skype interview can be arranged.
【Where to contact】
Should you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
Attention to: Personnel Section, Center for English Discussion Class, Rikkyo University